5/9 Prospect Park Mother’s Day Duathlon


5:15 – Time to wake up. Although I set my alarm for 6, I could tell I was way too antsy and wouldn’t be falling back asleep.

6:30 – After leaving the house, making it almost the entire way to the GWB before realizing I had forgotten my EZPass, turning around, picking it up, and turning around again, I’m finally on the road.

7:40 – I arrive at package pickup. Lemme tell you. Even with my underarmour, running pants (no tights, which the wind was unhappy about {50 MPH gales!}), tri shorts, under armour underwear, and a tri top, My hands were still numb in a half hour, and I was shivering pretty good by the time I picked up my tech tee, # (120) and some pins.

8:00 – Just stretching, waiting for the race to begin. Drop off my bike, cleats, and tech tee in Transition area. Met some friends, then head over to the mandatory meeting.

8:30 – After hearing about the course (all of which I forgot…I figured I’ll just go with the crowd), I make my way to the starting line amongst the other 200+ duathletes. The runners will start seperately. Last time I tried to run at the head of the pack, I gassed out after the first 5:45 mile, so I took it easy this time.


The first part of the run was great. The runners in the front who didn’t belong in the front were dropped rather quickly, so that by minute 7 (presumably mile 1, based on my avg. time), it was just the elite 25 who were actually booking it. Switching between 16-18th place over the course of the 5k, I was in fairly good shape. I wonder if this had anything to do with the banana or GU packet I had before the race. Perhaps?

22:15 Later – I come into T1 and strip off my shoes. This being my first Transition, ever, I didn’t know how long it should take, but after strapping my Tri shoes on and my helmet, I ran past 10 or 15 athletes getting set up. I htink it took me something like 25 seconds. Man was I fast. I hopped on my bike, and couldn’t get my left cleat in. I always have trouble with that one. While I’m sitting there, coasting along, trying to find my cleat, 2 or 3 bikers passed me, but then I was off.

Man was that bike fast! On the hills, I felt like I was dying, mainly because, imho, the speed shock was so great. There were times that I went from 30 mph to just 2 or 3 (a fellow biker told me his computer read:). But on those down hills, I was able to really fly. I mean I’m not the best biker. I have pretty weak and scrawny legs, and running has always been my forté. About 10 minutes into the bike or so, people were flying by me on these P3’s, 576’s, P2C’s, Some Mercury bike which was sweeeet, and many others. I thought to myself, man am I in deep trouble. As I get into T1 however, 40 minutes later, I realize that there are only 8 bikes on the racks. I breathe to the nearest official, “ONLY 8?!?!?” Her response, with a big smile, “Yup! You’re 9th! Woot Woot!”

Even though the last 2 miles of the ride my legs were all cramped; even though I missed the transition area, had to dismount and walk my bike across an island to get to the area; duck walk and all, exacerbated by my cramps, I somehow managed to sprint to my spot alllll the way art the end of the rack, rip my shoes and helmet off, throw my shoes and hat on, completely forget about taking off my pants, and get the H-bomb out of there. As I run by, some 30 seconds after entering T2, the announcer goes…” Number 120….Eli Fuld! With Asphalt Green Tri Club is currently in 9th place!” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing!

I tried to ignore the ever-growing pain in both of my calves which was working its way up to my quads at this point, but I just couldn’t. I ripped off the top of my second GU and sucked it down. As I turn around to check how I’m doing, I see a woman gaining on me – the same runner who was setting our pace on R1 – in 14th place. As she runs by me, she screams out, “Don’t worry! I’m a relay [so I don’t count, as far as positions are concerned]…I’ll set that pace for you nice and good!” I yell back a “THANKS!”, while somehow managing to continue putting one foot in front of the other – at the same speed as R1! 7 or 8 minutes in, another triathlete catches up with me, and shows mw his arm…”I heart Mom,” said the messy sharpie ink scribbled across his arm. “I’m doing this for my mom back in Massacheussets,” he told me. “I love my mom!!” And with that, Alex and I became running partners – right behind the pacer.

During the last mile, however, Alex lost both me and my pacer on the uphill portion. It was only a 30 second portion, but my legs couldn’t take it. As Alex passes both of us, the pacer speeds up a bit to keep within eye shot of Alex…and just about losing me on every corner in the process.

I look behind me, and see the same runners I was hanging with during R1 – only this time, I was pacing THEM! This little truth strikes me right in the solar plexus, and gives me a burst of energy no GU can. I leave them in my wake, and sprint (if you can call it that) the last .5 mile to the finish line.

1:26:20 was my final time.

10th place overall

1st place 15-19 age group.

What a race.


One thought on “5/9 Prospect Park Mother’s Day Duathlon

  1. Eli –

    I was looking for the splits online (b/c the race website hasn’t posted yet), and I stumbled across your post…thanks for the shout-out brother!

    I’m sorry I couldn’t stick around after the race, I needed to get back to my home in the law school library.

    I think you’ll get my email when I post this, shoot me a line. I didn’t look through your blog yet, but I did see that you were doing NYC, and so am I. Good luck w/ your next race.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s